Have you been tired of not finding the correct way to add breadcrumbs in the GeneratePress theme?
Don’t worry! Today in this post we are going to learn how to add breadcrumbs in the GeneratePress WordPress theme using Rank Math SEO, Yoast SEO and All In One SEO (AIO).
So, lets start this tutorial by understanding what Breadcrumbs are.
What are Breadcrumbs on the website?
The term Breadcrumbs in the website is inspired from the story of Hansel and Gretel where the kids drop bread crumbs to find their way back home.
Breadcrumbs are like roadmaps to your website. They act as a road which shows the destination to reach to the final post. They are used on a website with logical hierarchy. They are similar to sitemap in some ways. Breadcrumbs show the relationship between posts and their categories and home page. Breadcrumbs might be seen as a thing only on websites but it was introduced by Microsoft Windows back in the days of Windows XP and vista.
Watch the video instead?
What is the benefit of using Breadcrumbs?
As per Google breadcrumbs are one of the signals that it takes into consideration to rank the website content on google. So, this is the main reason to use Breadcrumbs in your website.
Breadcrumbs are important from SEO point of view and they work magic to tell users where they are on your website. It enhances the usability of website. With the help of breadcrumbs navigation, users can go to their desired page without any issues.
How to add Breadcrumbs in GeneratePress theme using Rank Math?
I’m using the pro version of GeneratePress theme. GeneratePress is popular for its simplicity and blazing fast speed.I suggest you to try the GeneratePress pro because it has so much to offer. And the method we are using today requires GeneratePress pro.
I also suggest you to use Rank Math SEO plugin for your WordPress website because it is one of the finest SEO plugins in the market with more than 1M+ active installations. People love Rank Math for its top notch features, timely updates and awesome support.
You can install the free version of Rank Math SEO or get the Rank Math Pro.
Step 1: Rank Math Settings
- First of all from the left side of your WordPress dashboard click Rank Math >> General Settings.
- After that click “Breadcrumbs” from the options an then click “Enable breadcrumbs function“.
- After that choose the separator symbol. These character will separate different elements in your breadcrumbs. Don’t worry you can change this later too.
- At last, scroll down to bottom and click “Save changes“.
- Now, from the left side of your WordPress dashboard click Appearances >> Elements.
- P.S: You won’t be able to see “Elements” if you have not activated it from the “GeneratePress” option available in “Appearances” section.
- After, the Elements page opens click “Add new element“.
- After that choose “Hook” from the “Choose element type” option.
- Add, new title as “Breadcrumbs”.
- And paste this short code from Rank Math.
- Scroll down to bottom of setting options and in the hook section choose “generate_before_entry_title”
- Click “Execute PHP”
- Now, headover to “display rules” options
- Choose “Posts” from the location section
- Finally click publish.
Now you can see, Breadcrumbs above your title in the posts.
How to add Breadcrumbs in GeneratePress theme using Yoast SEO?
To add Breadcrumbs in GeneratePress theme using Yoast SEO, you need to go click on Yoast SEO plugin setting >> Search apperance >> Bradcrumbs and then enable breadcrumbs and save the changes.
All the other steps of creating elements from Appearances section is same as Rank Math’s. You just need to change the short code. The short code to display breadcrumbs using Yoast SEO is:
How to add Breadcrumbs in GeneratePress theme using All In One SEO (AIO)?
To add Breadcrumbs in GeneratePress theme using All In One SEO (AIO) you need to click the AIO settings from the WordPress dashboard. After that click “General Settings” and enable breadcrumbs and save the changes.
Now, the rest option to create elements and show breadcrumbs in GeneratePress theme is same as we have done above in Rank Math.
The short code to display breadcrumbs in All In One SEO (AIO) is:
To wrap up, Breadcrumbs helps you to stand out, enhance page experience and optimize SEO. So, I suggest you to add Breadcrumbs on your GeneratePress powered WordPress website using plugins like Rank Math SEO, Yoast SEO and All In One SEO (AIO).
Are you struggling adding multiple authors in a WordPress post? Read this: How to add multiple authors in a WordPress post?